Being the parent of a toddler is fun – and not always easy?!
Your beautiful baby who, just a few months ago, was lying tiny and coddled in your arms, is now walking and talking, running and jumping about with so much energy it’s sometimes hard to keep up.
Sometimes you wonder what happened to your bundle of joy when your toddler becomes a bundle of fury, throws themselves on the floor, arms and legs kicking wildly, or when they don’t listen, run away and you struggle to stay calm.
You want to look after your child’s needs, be loving and understanding but sometimes it’s all just too much. You feel overwhelmed and think there much be another way!
That’s where the science comes in. When we look at child development psychology and brain science research, we can breathe a sigh of relief.
What you’re experiencing with your toddler is most often a normal, fundamental, and important part of their development.
There are no difficult children, just difficult situations.
The research also tells us that conventional parenting methods, such as coercion, time-outs and punishment, are destructive and not helpful if you want to build a strong and loving relationship with your child and meet their developmental needs. So what do you do instead?
The Understanding Toddlers & Preschoolers course offers you a new perspective on parenting and working with children. You’ll have the chance to learn what scientific research tells us about child development, see your child’s behaviour in a different light and develop an understanding for their emotions and what it is they – and you – really need.
“You’re ok, just as you are.”
In this course, we’ll focus on building a positive relationship with your child and discover opportunities for choosing connection that will enable you to parent with confidence and joy, whilst balancing your child’s needs and your own.
More about this course
Over 8 weeks, we’ll look at the following topics:
- The historical context of childhood, how we see children today and what child development research tells us
- “NO! I don’t want to! I WON’T!” Autonomy, “tantrums” & the (not-so) “Terrible Twos”
- Alternatives to punishments and time-outs
- Everyday life with a toddler and preschooler (getting dressed, mealtimes, play, sharing, cleaning teeth, potty training, siblings)
- Childcare, nursery & kindergarten
The course content relates to the development of children aged between 1 and 5 years.
In 8 weekly meetings in a small group, you’ll be able to:
- Share experiences with other parents
- Ask questions and address challenges in everyday family life
- Get some breathing space, time to centre yourself and tank up on new energy
- Discover alternatives to power struggles, time-outs and punishments, and find ways to parent with confidence
- Learn new ways to to deal with difficult situations
- Find out what scientific research says about child development, brain development, emotional development and empathy
Weekly course meetings over 8 weeks
Your investment: 129.00 €
Pay in full or in installments over two months. Prices for single parents and co-parents on request.
- Eight 90 minute weekly moderated group meetings, information from scientific research and group discussion
- Weekly self-development exercises & handouts
- Chance to meet and share experiences with other parents
- Welcoming and judgement-free atmosphere in Heidelberg, Germany
To allow for a good group discussion, the number of participants is limited to 10.
Book a course
If you’d like to book an Understanding Children Better – Toddlers & Preschoolers course for your organisation or private group, I can offer courses to groups of four people or more.
Click below to enter your details and I’ll be in touch.
If you’d be interested in a talk or workshop for your organisation or private group, I’m available for events for parents and groups in kindergartens, daycare, schools and other organisations in the Heidelberg area. You can find more information here.
What others parents say about my courses
The course was very valuable for me. After just one module, I was able to see our daily routine and the way our child was behaving in a different light. I could see why she was behaving in that way and understand what she really needed. We made a small adjustment to our daily routine, which had the big effect that now I and my kids can start our day less stressed, happier and feeling more connected to one another.
Can highly recommend! Karen’s great!
The parents who get to do Karen’s courses are very lucky!